Coaching and Mentoring with an Outward Mindset provides organizational managers with a peer-group learning environment that supports their personal mastery of Arbinger’s concepts in life and work.
The program is designed for organizational leaders with a basic foundation in Arbinger’s ideas who seek to build on that foundation to improve their leadership effectiveness.
Graduates of the program can expect to:
- Begin mastering the Arbinger principles in their professional lives.
- Learn valuable skills that will help them inspire their direct reports and others at work.
- Achieve a solid, foundational ability to understand their boxes and overcome them to become more effective leaders.
All participants in Coaching and Mentoring with an Outward Mindset receive:
- 12 hours of Arbinger-facilitated live program conference calls with a small peer group
- 12 hours of practical “manager as coach” application
- 2 hours of mentor coaching with a senior Arbinger Executive Coach
- Program materials, coaching tools, and coaching questions and worksheets for personal use
- Monthly ongoing coaching support groups
Program start dates and call times will be determined based on participant schedules.
Coaching and Mentoring with an Outward Mindset is an advanced, mastery-level training program that dives quickly into the “deep end” of Arbinger‘s material. We ask that participants come prepared for learning at this level both in terms of their understanding of Arbinger‘s material as well as in their application of the ideas in life and work.
Prior to registering for Coaching and Mentoring with an Outward Mindset Participants Should:
- Read Leadership and Self-Deception and The Anatomy of Peace. Many participants also choose to read Terry Warner‘s Bonds That Make Us Free.
- Complete foundational study with Arbinger of self-deception and its application to life. This can be satisfied either by:
- Attending any Arbinger two day seminar, or
- Completing the 8-week Anatomy of Peace Course by Phone.
- NOTE: Leaders interested in the program who have not fulfilled this prerequisite may still be invited to join—please let us know in your registration.
- Be actively engaged in applying Arbinger principles at home or at work, and
- Have personal or job responsibilities that require one-to-one developmental conversations (for example, meetings with direct reports, coaching experience, parenting, etc.).
We encourage anyone interested in Coaching and Mentoring with an Outward Mindset to contact us early so we can assist you with pre-requisites and course planning.
The first two-thirds of the program are devoted to helping participants 1) gain a deeper understanding of the core Arbinger ideas (self-betrayal, carry boxes, collusion, and getting out), and 2) learn to use Arbinger coaching skills as a way to better develop and lead employees.
The final third covers how to leverage these tools in situations in which they need to help someone else to change. Managers completing the course will be competent in helping others discover and get out of their boxes as well as improve any aspect of their lives by reducing resistance and developing their ability to respond effectively to difficult situations.
Coaching Mastery for Managers integrates understanding of a complete philosophical system with its practical application to personal and professional development.
Weekly Program Calls
The program is anchored by twelve weekly one-hour program calls that include:
- Learning a concept or diagram that helps deepen understanding and prompts action;
- Practicing concepts and questions that improve coaching ability and invite individual discovery, and
- Reflecting on insights and sharing challenges with peers.
Weekly calls are live with the program facilitator and fellow participants. Leaders should be able to commit to attending no fewer than ten of the twelve calls live, make up with call recordings the ones they have missed, and devote their full attention to the call for the scheduled hour.
Manager as Coach Practice
Between weekly program calls, participants meet one-to-one for practice in coaching employees. Each participant is assigned one peer to coach and another who coaches them, ensuring learning from both perspectives. Participants complete a total of 6 hours of coaching as “manager” and 6 hours as “employee”, 30 minutes each way, each week. This practice invites participants to continue their learning outside of the program calls and is a place to hone new management skills with a sympathetic peer.
Participants meet four times (30 minute calls) with an Arbinger Executive Coach for mentor coaching. These calls are a chance to check learning, remove roadblocks, and deepen professional application. There are two hours total mentor coaching.
Finally, Coaching and Mentoring with an Outward Mindset participants complete weekly assignments that they share with the program facilitator and peers in a private online forum.
Course materials include weekly program materials in PDF format as well as additional tools for coaching employees (diagrams, forms, etc.).
Upon successful completion of the course, participants are licensed to use program materials in their one-to-one coaching or leadership with people in their organization or personal life.
Registration & Fees
How to Apply
Click the link below to complete your online application and schedule an applicant interview with the program facilitator.
Please inquire in your online application about payment plans.
Your program facilitator will confirm your application interview by email.